Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Cell Phones and Nowhereland

Mallori and I bought cell phones today. So far, we are both very confused with the system, and how it all works. Basically, phones here are a prepaid system, though there doesn't seem to be much logic on how the minutes work. In the US, there are contracts, but here it's very confusing...maybe if it was explained in English to us, we'd understand it. The phones we got themselves were the 'free' ones, so basically, they are cheap...It is interesting though to have a number keypad with both ours and Arabic numbers. I am starting to recognize symbols for the Arabic numbers...so that shows signs of learning the language. I'm glad we got these phones, because I learned today that my school placement is about as far as I can get from the city, without being in another emirate. We looked at Google Earth to see the location, and I counted about 20 buildings in the town. It's about half way from Abu Dhabi to Dubai, though in the middle is pretty much in uncivilized territory. Hopefully these assumptions will be wrong once I get out there. This leaves the whole scenario of living in a new light, as we now need to decide if we want to live here in Abu Dhabi, and I commute for a couple hours a day, or if we live just outside the city so I can avoid traffic, cutting my commute drastically. Decisions...Unfortunately, after going to my employer's office to confront them about our frustrating situation, We still will be living in the Hotel at least for another 4 days. If only we would have been staying at the Hilton like the other group...I'd have at least a few free stays earned by now. Anywho, I'll write more later. Gotta spend time with my amazing wife!!!
D

No comments:

Post a Comment