Monday, February 8, 2010

Singapore
























































I very much enjoyed my trip to Singapore, although 3 nights isn't much time to see any city. By far, this town is perhaps the most well kept city i've been in, which didn't surprise me when I heard that chewing gum was once illegal here. Along the streets there are recycling bins, something we're still trying to introduce in Abu Dhabi, and each street is lined with lush greenery and decorated with lights and cultural attire. Colonial influence is very much present, as with diversity and racial congeniality. The city began as and still is a major shipping port, as you can see several large container ships coming and going from the multiple ports around this city-state-country island. Shopping is also HUGE here, though negotiating lower prices isn't as common as both Thailand and Malaysia. It's a very nice place with plenty to see and so much to do in such a short time.










I managed to see a good bit of the city from an arial view, as I rode the worlds largest ferris wheel, extending about 550 feet into the air, taking 30 minutes to revolve. I'm not a fan of Heights, though I seem to have challenged my phobia quite a few times during this trip. One of the main streets, Orchard Street, was full of excitement, shopping, and lined with large architectually intreguing buildings. Even the sidewalks had bright colorful lights within them, making it a pretty street to stroll.










I definately recommend the Singapore Zoo, the largest 'rainforest zoo' in the world. They created this place with a wholistic mindset, hoping to give the feel of animal freedom throughout. Basically, they wanted the visitors to feel like they could get up close and actually experience the animals. One could walk through the kangaroo exibit, ride the large asian elephants (which I did), or take loads of photographs without glass or cages blurring their views. My favorite exhibit was the Orangutans. These animals were able to roam free within a giving area, allowing them close contact with visitors. Very Cool.










I do hope to make it back someday, as it was a nice city, with a very trendy feel...Many restaurant chains were open 24/7, and even the cafes offered free wireless. It is a bit pricey compared to the other places i've visited, and is ranked as one of the most expensive places to live in the world. You do however get a lot for your money, as food portions are large, and life quality is high. There also was plenty to do, as the Chinese new year was about to begin. I did view my first Chinese Tiger Dance, which was quite amazing. Different Cultures are soooo cool...it's hard to notice back in the states, because people are dominated by the "melting pot" ideology...so much is lost in cultures by combining into one. But here in Singapore, people still maintain their traditional values and experiences, offering a wide variety of excitement and adventure. I've always been adventurous...now i'm culturally adventurous.

1 comment: