Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Progress at Al Hubab






















So far, teaching in the Middle East has been a challenging, but unforgettable experience. I spend more time, dancing around, doing charades, and repeating myself with a louder voice than ever before in the US. The word 'no' is "la" in Arabic, and I often find myself saying 'la' no matter where I am...I guess i use it so much in the classroom that it has worked its way into my own vocabulary. I often sound like i'm singing a Christmas carol, as many people have heard me say 'lalalala la, lala la la' I probably look stupid to these kids, but it's fun.












This week, we've worked our way up to the letter H and the Number 13. These kids are understanding more and more, and though they try to sneak off to the bathroom frequently, as kids in the US do the same to get out of class, they are quick to return. I guess they see my class as fun, as i'm teaching them many of the songs kids learn in preschool or younger.






"if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands"






"the wheels on the bus"






"head and shoulders, knees and toes"






and a few more.












I still have a few screamers and criers, as this is likened unto kindergarten in the u.s. and many of these kids aren't used to doing work, yet alone being away from mama. I haven't sent home any 'homework' because one, they can't do it, and two, i hear they won't...most of the time, i guess the nannies do the work for the students...so i just give them a ton of stuff to do during the day to make up for it. So far, i've met several parents, many of which are impressed with their child's ability to speak English (though it's not much yet), some of them wondering why their child is scared of me (because i'm 4 feet taller than them), and a few come just to see what this American is doing in their town...Mothers are more involved in their child's education, and now and then I get a dad or two who come in for show, just to let the school know they are still in charge. It's quite funny seeing one of my criers change in behavior as mom or dad begin to leave...we often have to peal kids off the doorway to get them into the room, or lock them in the classroom to keep them from running home, and many live miles and miles away. I don't bother anymore...i do not need more drama in my room. If kids are screaming, I am more than happy to let them out. However, I have instated a pepsi bottle as my hall pass, for those kids who would like to leave legitimately. So far, no kid has tried to pee in it (thank God).












Today, I had my colleage from the US compliment me on my progress. He wasn't aware of my willingness to sing and get on the floor with the kids, nor did he think my students would be as far along as they are. It felt good to have another educated person tell me that I was doing a great job. However, i'm nothing special...just a caring guy, willing to look past the head coverings or body-length outfits of my students. It doesn't bother me that my job is hard...it makes me work harder. And in the end, God will be praised, because i can't do it without him anyways...he's been more patient with me than many others...so I have no problem showing a little patience and longsuffering to these little Emirates.






No comments:

Post a Comment